Glivec is used to treat adults and children/adolescents who have chronic myeloid leukaemia (CML) and acute lymphoblastic leukaemia with Philadelphia chromosome positive (PH-positive ALL).
CML and ALL are types of leukaemia in which an abnormal chromosome produces an enzyme that leads to uncontrolled growth of white blood cells. Glivec kills the abnormal cells while leaving normal cells alone.
Glivec is also used to treat adults for:
· Myelodysplastic / myeloproliferative diseases (MDS/MPD).
· These are a group of blood diseases in which some blood cells start growing out of control.
· Aggressive systemic mastocytosis (ASM).
· It is a cancer in which certain blood cells, called "mast" cells, grow out of control.
· Hypereosinophilic syndrome (HES) and or chronic eosinophilic leukaemia (CEL).
· These are blood diseases in which some blood cells, named "eosinophils", start growing out of control.
· Gastro-intestinal stromal tumours (GIST).
· This is a type of cancer of the stomach and bowels. This cancer affects the tissue that surrounds the stomach and bowels and the cells grow uncontrollably.
· Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP).
· DFSP is a cancer of the tissue beneath the skin in which some cells start growing out of control.